Rubio says US is revoking all visas held by South Sudanese passport holders

22 hours ago 1

Associated Press

Associated Press

Sun, April 6, 2025 astatine 1:35 AM UTC

1 min read

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio during a gathering connected the sidelines of the NATO overseas ministers astatine NATO office successful Brussels, Friday, April 4, 2025. (Nicolas Tucat, Pool Photo via AP)

WASHINGTON (AP) — Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Saturday that the United States was revoking each visas held by South Sudanese passport holders, accusing the African nation's authorities of “taking vantage of the United States.”

“Every state indispensable judge the instrumentality of its citizens successful a timely mode erstwhile different country, including the United States, seeks to region them,” Rubio said successful a statement, adding that “South Sudan’s transitional authorities has failed to afloat respect this principle."

Besides revoking visas, Rubio said the U.S. would "prevent further issuance to forestall introduction into the United States by South Sudanese passport holders.”

South Sudan’s governmental scenery is fragile and caller unit betwixt authorities troops and equipped absorption groups has escalated tensions.

Last week, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urged determination and planetary leaders to forestall South Sudan from falling “over the abyss” into different civilian war.

Guterres warned that the world’s newest and 1 of its poorest countries is facing “a information emergency” with intensifying clashes and a “political upheaval” culminating with past week’s apprehension by the authorities of First Vice President Riek Machar.

Read Entire Article