Mexico has back-up plan in case Trump goes through with tariff threat, president says

1 month ago 10

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Mexico volition hold and spot if U.S. President Donald Trump goes done with his menace to slap tariffs connected its confederate neighbour connected Tuesday, the nation's president said connected Monday, adding that Mexico has back-up plans successful lawsuit the tariffs spell into place.

President Claudia Sheinbaum, speaking successful a greeting property conference, said she would talk much astir her decisions connected Tuesday, but that immoderate the U.S. decided, Mexico was ready.

"We person a program B, C, D," Sheinbaum said, without giving details of the plans.

Mexican officials met with their U.S. counterparts successful Washington past week to tackle commercialized and information policy, a bid from Mexico to stave disconnected tariffs.

Trump has accused Mexico and Canada of not doing capable to halt the travel of synthetic drugs specified arsenic fentanyl and migrant arrivals astatine their borders with the U.S., and has promised sweeping tariffs if the nations bash not ace down connected both.

Sheinbaum described the meetings successful Washington arsenic "cordial" and said that coordination with the U.S. had been precise bully truthful far.

(Reporting by Kylie Madry and Ana Isabel Martinez; editing by Cassandra Garrison)

Read Entire Article