Iranian general raises prospect of response amid US strikes on Houthis

2 weeks ago 7

An Iranian wide warned connected Sunday of the imaginable for a "decisive and devastating" effect to immoderate executed threat, the time aft the U.S. conducted strikes connected Houthis successful Yemen.

Gen. Hossein Salami besides denied that Iran had backed the rebel group, which continues to wage a run against planetary ships successful the Red Sea and disconnected the Yemeni coast.

 Smoke rises from an detonation  aft  a projectile deed  a radical  of buildings astatine  an undisclosed determination  successful  this screengrab obtained from a handout video released connected  March 15, 2025. (CENTCOM via Reuters)

PHOTO: Smoke rises from an detonation aft a projectile deed a radical of buildings astatine an undisclosed determination successful this screengrab obtained from a handout video released connected March 15, 2025. (CENTCOM via Reuters)

MORE: Trump orders attacks against Houthis successful Yemen

"We are not a federation to unrecorded successful hiding. We are a valid and morganatic strategy successful the world. We denote it if we onslaught anywhere," Salami said successful a code broadcast successful Farsi.

The wide did not accidental Iran had been threatened, but that the state would connection a "decisive and devastating effect to immoderate threat" against it.

Salami's words echoed those of U.S. President Donald Trump, who announced Saturday helium had ordered the U.S. subject to motorboat a "decisive and powerful" onslaught against the Houthis successful Yemen.

 U.S. President Donald Trump looks connected  arsenic  subject   strikes are launched against Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis implicit    the group's attacks against Red Sea shipping, astatine  an unspecified determination  successful  this handout representation  released March 15, 2025. (White House via Reuters)

PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump looks connected arsenic subject strikes are launched against Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis implicit the group's attacks against Red Sea shipping, astatine an unspecified determination successful this handout representation released March 15, 2025. (White House via Reuters)

"They person waged an unrelenting run of piracy, violence, and coercion against American, and other, ships, aircraft, and drones," Trump said. "We volition usage overwhelming lethal unit until we person achieved our objective."

MORE: Trump moves to marque Houthis arsenic a overseas violent enactment again

A U.S. authoritative confirmed to ABC News that U.S. aerial and naval assets deed dozens of Houthi targets successful Yemen, including missiles, radars and drone and aerial defence systems. The authoritative characterized the attacks arsenic an opening salvo against the Houthis and sends a beardown connection to Iran.

PHOTO A vessel  fires missiles astatine  an undisclosed location, aft  U.S. President Donald Trump launched subject   strikes against Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis connected  March 15, 2025.  (CENCOM via Reuters)

PHOTO A vessel fires missiles astatine an undisclosed location, aft U.S. President Donald Trump launched subject strikes against Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthis connected March 15, 2025. (CENCOM via Reuters)

Yemeni wellness officials said the run had killed immoderate 31 people, on with injuring different 101 people. Many of the wounded were "children and woman" the Ministry of Health successful Sana'a said connected Sunday morning.

This is simply a processing story. Please cheque backmost for updates.

ABC News' Luis Martinez, Selina Wang and Kelsey Walsh contributed to this report.

Iranian wide raises imaginable of effect amid US strikes connected Houthis primitively appeared connected abcnews.go.com

Read Entire Article